Monday, December 1, 2008

Black December: Living in latex leggings and baggy tops, loving being alive, the usual.

The weekend past began commonly enough, but quickly turned into a whirlwind of drinks, social engagements, more drinks, shopping, restaurant reservations and, finally, having my eardrums blown by the psychedelic rock n’ roll brilliance that was Darker My Love at the Horseshoe Tavern last night. In short, there wasn’t a moment of it which wasn’t thrilling and awesome.
One of the highlights of the past couple of days was the Black Sunday Toronto Fashion Bloggers Brunch, as organized by the perpetually lovely and charming Danielle of FinalFashion.ca. The fact that this tiny bit of space on the internet is bringing me to events like this one, which are filled with interesting, informative and like-minded individuals is really beyond anything I could have imagined at Modern-Guilt.com's inception just a few short months ago. A huge thank you to Anita, Gail, Danah, Jas, Carolyn, Eden, Danielle and Serah-Marie for being so welcoming and lovely, and moreover some of the best conversationalists I've had the pleasure of encountering in recent history.
In other weekend news, G and I finally got around to watching Lagerfeld Confidential on Saturday evening, which was a hugely inspiring and entertaining little film. One of the best parts had to be the outtakes of Karl photographing Mariacarla for a Chanel campaign in the streets of Paris with Emmanuelle Alt and a bunch of other impossibly chic Parisians in tow. It was absolutely lovely to see that, regardless of scale, equipment and the amount of attendants on hand, all photographs are just photographs, and are taken in what is essentially the exact same way at the end of the day.
On a more personal fashion-y note, I did absolutely no shopping this weekend (Black Friday). I'm doing absolutely no shopping today (Cyber Monday). And, at the moment, I generally just want to quit shopping for all time. The holiday season always has a tendency to put me in this kind of mood, what with all of the circulating stories of sickeningly crazed consumerism reaching brand new moral lows and record financial highs. As such, I've basically decided to buy as little as possible this holiday season and instead rely upon my own creativity and knowledge of the people on my 'shopping list' to create something wonderful and memorable for the ones I love; I may even do a DIY Holiday Gift Guide at some point in the near future, so watch out for that!
I obviously have plenty more to say about this and that and all the rest, but I don't believe it's all going to fit inside of one Monday post. I hope you all had amazing Thanksgiving weekends, and promise to of course be back tomorrow with even more outfits and ramblings and everything else you've come to expect from G and I - however, if you're unable to wait that long, don't forget about our brand-new Twitter account which we've been updating in a manner that borders on obsessive.
Wearing
I finally found a plain, well-fitting black hoodie, and at Foot Locker of all places! It is quite possibly my new favourite article of clothing.
The white tank is from a random Yonge Street shop, and is made of that wonderful slouchy jersey that I'm enjoying so much lately.
The latex PVC-like leggings are Silence and Noise, as purchased at Urban Outfitters.
My black leather platformed boots are Pedro Garcia, and need to be cleaned up a little bit as last winter seems to have taken a toll on them.
The navy blue moto purse was purchased recently at Over the Rainbow in Yorkville.

32 comments:

  1. i <3 those leggings!
    p.s. a blogger brunch sounds oh so fun. i wish someone would organize one in NYC...or maybe i'll have to take the bull by the horns and do that myself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look amazig! I really love those leggins. And your hair also.

    And you've been tagged!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great weekend.

    I'm actually not doing Christmas presents this year (outside of dudeguy), so I'm with you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "slouchy jersey"

    made me feel in textile fundamentals class.

    :)

    i like the fact that you got that hoodie at foot locker and managed to pull it off greatly. =]

    ReplyDelete
  5. loving the outfit and the bag!! I can't wait to watch Lagerfeld Confidential as well. I recently watched a Marc Jacobs/Louis Vuitton documentary that was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun with a blogger lunch, sounds great! I also love my latex leggings so much, hehe. I am putting myself on a strict budget this christmas, so I am all about the creativity, which I think is good. It makes both me and the people I am buying for appriciate it more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very laid back outfit. i like it very much. maybe because i am undergoing a dark phase right now. i seem to sway away from all things colorful and with prints.

    ReplyDelete
  8. heybeautifulbee!

    you look so rockin.
    i love how you paired it down with a hoodie.
    this is pure bliss.
    and perfect for a weekend gallavant.

    love your outlook on this holiday season...
    inspiring S & G.
    i always volunteer and try to do all i can for the enviroment- like wrapping all my gifts using fashion mags ;)


    x.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i came really close to buying those leggings yesterday but then realized that my style really doesn't incorporate them well and that i should leave it to folks like you who pull off that rocker-chic look PERFECTLY - like, every. single. time.
    bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that bag is soo fabulous! i love the color; its a deep blue, yet bright!

    xoxo.
    La C.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking good - as usual! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been meaning to watch Mr. L in action as well. If you can take a good photo, it should not matter what the set up is, the huge ste up is only really needed if you can't take a good photo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The boots, the leggings, (the baggg!) like I said on Chictopia; lady is looking CHIC! <3

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautiful....I really want to see that documentary now ! and yes, those leggings are sexalicious ( I really love them on you).....sounds like the sunday brunch was a good time =)...and its too bad our schedules have collided so much with work and school :(...we need to arrange something for the new year for sure!! maybe when you are done that "shopping ban" of yours :P....and thanks for the good luck wishes for exams...I think I need it..:s

    ReplyDelete
  15. you look adorable in these pix....!
    i love leggings, but am still on the fence about latex ones for me ,maybe if i can find the perfect fit....i tried on a bunch, but i am not thrilled yet. they are too shiny or too baggy...c'est le vie....
    and you know black friday is for amateurs.
    us pros shop the rest of the year without the neagtivity and the hysteria....
    lots of white and gold light. chauss

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hardly know where to start,
    but let's be honest... I adore you.

    The blue moto purse/latex/boots, and holy shit you got that at Foot Locker hoodie are damn fantastic. You've pulled togther a sleek silhouette that's seriously rocker-esque.

    gorgeous babe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh and i am glad we both love neil young! i knew you had an old soul;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. love this outfit on you--espesh the leggins i cant pull them off but they look amazing on you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow love how u paired the leggings with those boots!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi there-you look really lovely in this outfit! Im not spending at the moment either, I'm going to make do with what I've got!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great bag! And you wear the leggings soo well!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the leggings!! How tight or stretchy are they? Unfortunately, my hips don't lie...

    It was great to meet you to girl! Let's do coffee sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Smashing outfit, darling! And what's even better than those fab leggings and blue moto purse is your outstanding outlook on life - your positivity is so affirming - thanks, S!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  24. So nice to meet you at the Toronto Fashion Bloggers Brunch! And thanks for introducing me to Darker My Love.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is definately one of m favorite outfits... I love the contrast and the shiny legging, actually I've been wanting a pair ... which is bizarre since I feel naked in leggings and your never consider... I guess better late then never :P

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow those leggings are HOT.. i love that they're not super shiny :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. fierce leggings - love how you combined it with the withe tee

    ReplyDelete
  28. ohh you are looking all kinds of hot here.

    Love those leggings on you! Great combo with the long white tee.. I think I will be rocking my wet look leggings like this soon.

    great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your blog!

    beautiful outfit's

    ReplyDelete