Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Holiday Gift Guide: Part 1, The "I've Got To Spend Something" under-$150 gift for everyone on your list.

This is the first installment of a Holiday Gift Guide series which will be continuing throughout the upcoming weeks.

I totally get it. You're running out of time, you're not particularly crafty or adept at making things and, for that matter, you cannot think of anything to make that's doesn't hearken back to the Popsicle-stick jewelry boxes of your youth; sometimes, recession be damned, you're just left with no option but to get out there and spend. On the other side of the spectrum, stuff is, well... expensive, recession be damned or not; if the people on your gift list are as discerning and costly in their preferences as the people on mine, you're naturally feeling as though you're between a rock and a hard place.


So I've come up with a few ideas as to how one can overcome this particular hurdle. While you may not have the financial means to present the gadget-loving man (or woman!) in your life with a brand-new MacBook come Christmas morning, you do still have some pretty awesome and viable options.

Today's Subject: The Gadget-Loving Boyfriend/Husband/Brother/Dude/Person

The problem: Given the fact that common, store-bought technology has been updating at an exponential pace throughout the past couple of years, it's only natural that more and more of these types have been coming out of the woodwork. You probably have one in your life and, if you don't, you're undoubtedly acquainted with a few. I find these individuals the hardest to shop for when on a budget because let's face it: the things they appreciate don't come cheap.

My under-$150 gift solution #1: Sure, he's not particularly fond of clothing or home decor, but what if you found a way to parlay these types of items into gadget-related gifts? Thankfully for us, the brilliant geniuses over at Throwboy.com have done exactly this. Show the Machead in your life the above photo and watch them squeal and coo like a fashion blogger does over pictures of the latest Rodarte collection. Available for purchase here, at $29 each or $149 for the set of six as shown.

My under-$150 gift solution #2: If you've ever heard the words "If it doesn't have an LED screen, I probably don't like it" uttered by this person, you'll know that often the calibre of gadget is less important to them than the fact that the item in question is a gadget or computerized device of some sort - I have, in the past, made the mistake of doubting this and figuring that everyone appreciates a nice $600 designer coat when this is in fact NOT THE CASE. Above note an assorted variety of small, inconsequential electronic devices which are sure to please this person on your list far more than that pair of expensive jeans you were eyeing for them. Plus an array of presents under the tree is just fun for everyone, isn't it? Clockwise, left-to-right: Fruit Powered Clock $18, LED Umbrella $24.99, Giant Ear Bud Speakers $40, Electronic Bubble Wrap Keychain $9.99, Rocket Alarm Clock $20, Portable Electronics Charging Station $29.99

Stay tuned for the continuation of the gift guide on Sunday, at which point I'll be covering off the next subject of interest: The "I-Only-Wear-Manolos" Best Friend/Mother/Sister/Person...

20 comments:

  1. such fabulous ideas!!! i cant wait to see the rest of this series! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so sweet, im so not doing gifts this year--it seems that really is all people care about. i bought things for all my bff's, but no secret santa crap for me :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. S!

    i love this.

    i always overspend on christmas.
    eeek.
    and being around shops you see things you like too.
    i have to be good this year.

    you are FABULOUS.
    thanks for doing this.

    x.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh, the pillows are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely ideas.
    Its so much better than that stupid guide in NOW. I hate how the gift ideas in it go up to $500 ++ .

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the gift ideas s. my boyfriend is a complete gadget freak like me but i think he has everything except for these oversized earphone speakers. love! thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha that would be a great deaL! im in need to buy christmas presents soon!!! i'm always such a procrastinator.. i'll most definitey be referring back to this post next week when i actually go shopping.. hahahah

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is genius... because here's what I'm up against.

    I ask. They shrug. I ask. They say, "Oh, nothing."
    I ask. I ask. I ask.
    And just as I'm about to cry/scream, they motion something about how a nice Christmas card will suffice.
    Sure, as long as you don't live in a little land called reality.

    lol-xxx

    Amazing post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. awesome that you are doing a "series"...yea I def never stay in my budget although this year I managed to keep it under $500 which is pretty amazing considering I have a LOT of people on my xmas shopping list ...and as you mention, they are picky and hard to shop for...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there-some really good ideas, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oohhh, this is great post! white and gold light. xx chauss

    ReplyDelete
  12. those throwboy pillows are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've done all of my shopping now, but this is such a fantastic blog idea =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice! I have no clue when it comes to gadgets so this is tres helpful, S!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  15. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


    Susan



    http://www.car-insurance-choices.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahh, those Machead pillows are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for posting this, such great ideas. The geek in me is completely in love with that LED umbrella :))

    ReplyDelete
  18. great ideas! can't wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i need to get on the ball, can you believe I haven't started my Shopping yet? i promise to start this week!!!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete