Monday, December 8, 2008

Holiday Gift Guide: Part 2, The "I've Got To Spend Something" under-$150 gift for everyone on your list.

The problem: Being poorer than the person that one is buying a gift for is often a tricky situation, as there is naturally not much such person wants and doesn't already have. And when preferences are expensive, as was the case with the The Gadget-Loving Boyfriend/Husband/Brother/Dude/Person covered in this post, the perfect gift begins to seem like an impossible notion created by some evil corporate power for the singular purpose of making you experience strong feelings of misery, inadequacy, dissatisfaction and, eventually, financial over-compensation.

But fear not, readers, you don't have to feel this way! First and foremost, it's reasonable to assume that the expensive-shoe-lover on your list has an affinity for the finer things in life, and that this trait extends to more than just their footwear. I've yet to meet an "I-Only-Wear-Manolos" woman who doesn't also possess an interest in beauty and aesthetics on the whole - so work with that!

And so continues the second installment of Modern-Guilt.com's Holiday Gift Guide for under-$150 list for:

Today's subject: The "I-Only-Wear-Manolos" Best Friend/Mother/Sister/Person...

My under-$150 gift solution #1: Alright, it's been determined that this woman is discerning and impeccable in what she wears, and assumed that the same rings true in all other aspects of her faaabulous life. Naturally, her coffee table would appreciate '100 Years of Fashion Illustration' because she obviously needs something gorgeous to look at while waiting at home for the Prada cashmere cardis she scored on Cyber Monday to be delivered to her door! And make sure that she's not left to inelegantly crease the spine of the book when such packages arrives by including the Robie Bookmark, the design of which was adapted from a Frank Lloyd Wright wall sconce...and if that calibre of design isn't chic, I truly don't know what is.
My under-$150 gift solution #2: Not all designer items are that expensive, and if this person on your list is anything like mine and therefore currently stuck in the treacherous ugliness that only bitterly cold weather brings, a couple of not-knit-by-grandma outerwear accessories may be your first-class ticket to having the coolest gift under the tree for them this holiday season. Be it Miu Miu or Missoni, your Manolo-lover is sure to appreciate a cozy, functional beanie that doesn't make her look like a cross between the Abominable Snowman and a creepy cat burglar. Missoni beanie, $75, Miu Miu beanie, $60. More selection and matching accessories can be found at net-a-porter.com

21 comments:

  1. I will take the book and the beanie any day! Great gift suggestions, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This great. Are you going to do a list for teenagers? I need a gift idea for my 15 year old son.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the missoni beanie would have been way more than $75....way to go S....and that book is def a great idea..might get something like that for my godmother
    =)
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you should come over and finsih my Christmas shopping love... hahaha.

    You're such a creative talent, I just adore these posts. Beyond helpful... I'm sitting here, completely floored over the $75 Missoni beanie.

    It wants to befriend my Missoni scarf... I want it, it's delicious.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. great ideas! I am going to shop this friday and try and get it done in one fell swoop :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your idea about the book:) Now I know what I'm going to get my mom:) Thank you S!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. heYYyyyYY!

    I bought my friend the fashion illustration book! It's so fab... yes, i may have flipped through it before purchasing. sooo purdy!
    Excellent list, ma'dear!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love it, im seriously not even doing gifts. i love your suggestions my darling. hope you have been well!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. love this post :) i would take those too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great blog and love the gift tips.it can be tricky but loved these suggestions.
    muah
    marian

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


    Susan



    http://www.car-insurance-choices.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww I saw that book and thought about what a lovely gift it'd be for any fashion blogger! If only our parents were that cool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel ya, girl - I am totally poor right now! Love giving and getting huge books for Xmas - great ideas here!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  14. j'ai besoin the missoni beanie!
    immediately!

    *hearts*

    ReplyDelete
  15. The fashion illustration book is such a smart idea!

    Why didn't I think of that?

    ReplyDelete
  16. great list! that beanie is a must have

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello's...such a brilliant topic! Its very tricky and indeed trying buying crimbo gifts when cash is so damn tight. I've been making old school mix tapes complete with little 'why I love you notes'... one of my friends are giving me sarcastic stick for it though along the lines of, 'fucking soppy soul' they may have a point? haha! Needless to say your gift ideas are way better!
    Peace and Bells...
    Prettyneonsx

    ReplyDelete
  18. ps, do you have any tips on how to wrap gifts without having a nasty battle with the roll of sticky tape? x

    ReplyDelete
  19. this is PERFECT!

    must start shopping asap.

    hope all is well beauty.

    i am back in canada!!!
    weeeeeee.

    x.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that book ... I want it now :)

    ReplyDelete